Monday 14 January 2013

Interview with Bob Macabre


We interviewed Robert Egler, aka Bob Macabre, about his famous projects, the notorious Psychotic Homicidal Dismemberment, Chainsaw Dissection, Goatbleeder, and Satanic Impalement, among others. 


Andras: When did you start expressing yourself musically? What was your first band and when did this come about?

Bob: I started to learn to play guitar back in 1990.  I recorded some low-fi things with my boom box.  Well, I started recording stuff with my one guitar teacher, Wayne, back in 1996.  He program the drums and I would do the vocals and guitar.  It was mainly thrash metal that I recorded back then.  I didn't really have a name for this project.  It was just something I recorded for myself.  This was just something to get started and way before the whole online thing.  I really didn't have anyone to trade it with or a way to advertise.  Then shortly after that I started "Goatbleeder."  

Andras: Your music from several projects is clearly up to standard of (if not better than) several respective black and death metal bands. Have you sought other labels, or is there a reason you choose to release on Macabre Mastermind?

Bob: I did the Macabre Mastermind because I wanted to release my stuff under a label.  I started to release things on other labels here and there, like Redrum.  I look for other labels to release my projects, but they're either full or not interested.   Therefore I continue to release under Macabre Mastermind.

Andras: At what point did you start amassing a number of projects? Was it always your intention to have so many musical outlets?

Bob: No not really, but as I started recording more, I found different sounds I liked.  I started releasing these under different projects because they sounded different.  I mean Goatbleeder sounds different than Chainsaw Dissection; Chainsaw Dissection sounds different than P.H.D., etc.  As far as the number of projects goes, they just kind of came about as I found new and different sounds I liked.  Plus I like trying to find new sounds so new projects may be in the works.

Andras: You've collaborated with Mike Scrivens, aka The Brutal Postman, a number of times, including releases on each other's labels, splits, and bands together. When did you first come into contact with him, and how did your musical partnership come about?

Bob: Mike wrote to me after Barrett gave him a couple of one of my CDs.  He asked if I wanted to do a split on his Going Postal label, and we've been pretty much working on projects since.  We both started Death Becomes Her label to release our projects (mine, his, and ours).  You can check out the Facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/DeathBecomesHerRecords?ref=ts&fref=ts

Andras: What would you say is the main difference between P.H.D. and Chainsaw Dissection?

Bob: Guitar tone, vocal styles, song length, and speed

Andras: When and how did you first get into metal?

Bob: I got an Iron Maiden tape when I was around 10 years old.  I got more of their stuff then I started listening to Slayer, Exodus, Pantera, along with some death metal bands like Death, Obituary, and Possessed.  And the rest is history.

Andras: You're clearly a huge horror film fan. Other than this, and your music, how do you like to spend your free time?

Bob: Watching football, playing my acoustic guitar, taking care of my pets. I like model trains and collecting sports items, playing old school video games (Yars Revenge, Pac Man, Donkey Kong County)

Andras: Finally: what are your future plans for P.H.D., Chainsaw Dissection and Satanic Impalement? Do you have any albums in the works? What shall we expect from Bob Macabre in 2013?

Bob: I recently had a new Chainsaw Dissection CD out called "My Chainsaw Still Executes."  I'm working on a new P.H.D. for the Death Becomes Her label.  Not really doing much with Satanic Impalement at the moment.  I'm working with Mike on our Perception of Hades project.  Also, working on some new Schizogrinder tracks. This is what I have lined up for the next couple of months.  I would like to more stuff with my Postmortem Gore Orgy.  

Thank you for your time,

Andras

No comments:

Post a Comment