Tuesday 15 January 2013

Interview with Sternenfrost (Wedard)


We spoke to Sternenfrost, sole member behind the depressive black metal band WEDARD, about his musical exploits.


Andras: What inspired you to start Wedard?

Sternenfrost: Hey, I'm inspired by black metal and the fascination of this music. It starts as a "hobby", to tell feelings of life and those thoughts you have in young years.

Andras: All of your releases, but in particular "Einsamer Winterweg", contain depressive, melancholy riffs, dark choirs and an eerie, cold ambience. What is the creative process when you come up with these songs, and how do you create such powerful pieces?

Sternenfrost: Thanks for your words. It's not about to create this way of music. I don't stay here and say to myself "Damn, create some depressive stuff..". The feeling of the songs is like my feeling at this moment of life. It's interesting to hear many years later my own songs. Strange feeling!

Andras: You say the project is for you alone, but would Wedard ever perform live with session musicians?

Sternenfrost: Mhh, I thought about, but I live in a small town in the south of Germany. This art of music isn't very popular. So it's hard to find some good members for a live show. And I don't know if this music is so good for live acts. But we will see, maybe one time!

Andras: What is the message within your music?

Sternenfrost: The message is clear. I would say its about the many different feelings in different moments of life. We have our majestic moments full of love and our dimension of the blackest dark. I never thought so many guys think Wedard is depressive Black Metal. I would say it's more a mix of atmospheric parts and melodies for dreaming. But anyway, every person has his own view and own opinion.

Andras: How long will Wedard be around? Do you ever intend to end the band, or
 just keep going as long as you are able to?

Sternenfrost: I often thought about the end. Many problems in past and a scene I don't want to be a part of. With the time I changed the sound, the themes about the songs and so on. Ideas come and ideas go. At least I would say, the end is here when no fire is left to make this art of music. For this kind of genre you need 110% feeling. 

Andras: What sort of music and bands do you like personally? Do you listen to depressive black metal?

Sternenfrost: I don't listen to much depressive Black Metal. It makes me sad (haha!). No, private I listen to (old!) Blut aus Nord, Rotting Christ or some atmospheric bands like Midnight Odyssey. Some good DSBM Bands? In Germany I would say Nyktalgia. They fuck your mind. Incredible good sound and vocals.

Andras: Wedard does not publish its lyrics - why is this?

Sternenfrost: Some lyrics of songs are published, but the most are private. In future all lyrics will be printed.. I think.

 Andras: Finally, do you have any releases planned for 2013? What shall we expect from Wedard in the future?

Sternenfrost: Maybe a split with Thy Light and the new full length. Can´t say anymore. Still working on the full length: 2014 or later is possible, too. And how it sounds? Puh, the first previews sound like a mix of Einsamer Winterweg and the last album. But anyway...

Andras: Thank you for your time.



No comments:

Post a Comment